September 20, 2020
The Nominating Committee of the Lakeland Runners Club, Inc. (LRC) is accepting applications for the board of directors.
The deadline for nominations is Oct 23, 2020.
The Lakeland Runners Club is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose purpose is to:
- Promote and encourage long-distance running through the education of the community on the benefits of physical fitness and sport.
- Hold championships, races on the road or track, time trials, social runs, lectures, demonstrations, and social events; print and publish books, magazines and newsletters; present awards; and do all other things as they may be conducive to the encouragement of running.
- Engage in community activities, to publicize through appropriate means the benefits of long-distance running and jogging, and to coordinate with other agencies advocating running as a means of physical fitness.
- Assist in formulating and maintaining ethical standards for members in their relations with each other and the public.
Elections for the directors will be held at the annual meeting of the membership to be held in the fourth calendar quarter per the LRC bylaws Article IV, Section 4, Section 5. Officers are elected at the annual meeting of the board of directors to be held within seven days following the annual meeting of the membership per the LRC bylaws Article V, Section 8.
The following officer and director positions are up for election in 2020.
- President (1)
- Vice President (1)
- Secretary (1)
- Treasurer (1)
- Race Planning Chair (1)
- Training Programs and Group Runs Chair (1)
- Member Events Chair (1)
- Director at Large (4—7)
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for nomination as an officer or director of the LRC, a nominee must be a member of the LRC and be at least 18 years of age. A prospective nominee shall:
- support the purpose and mission of the corporation
- demonstrate a commitment to running or expertise in one or more areas of need
- be able to focus in a team environment on governance and oversight of a nonprofit organization
- be able to participate in discussions with respect and tolerance for differing opinions and ideas
- be willing to share responsibility and delegate tasks
- understand the role and responsibilities of LRC board members
Time and Other Commitments: The LRC is a volunteer working board, meaning that the board of directors is involved in setting policy as well as the day-to-day running of the corporation. Directors not only provide high-level leadership but also are the “hands and legs” of the organization. Per the LRC bylaws, the president, subject to the control of the board of directors, shall in general supervise and control the business and affairs of the corporation. The executive committee is composed of the officers of the corporation and shall have and exercise the authority of the board of directors in the management of the affairs of the corporation between meetings of the board of directors.
LRC directors and officers must be able and willing to review the bylaws and all policies and procedures of the corporation. Directors must be available to participate at all regular board meetings. If a director cannot attend a meeting in-person, calling into a meeting can be arranged. Special board meetings may be required from time to time. Directors are expected to review periodic emails and reports from the executive committee and are expected to review materials in advance of meetings to be prepared to engage in discussion. Directors should expect to attend the general member meetings, and lead or assist at one or more club activities listed below.
Directors serving on the executive committee, as a race director, or coach may be eligible to attend RRCA conferences and/or specific training for their area of responsibility and be reimbursed by the LRC.
Board Meeting Schedule:
Board of director meetings are scheduled for the first Monday of the month at 6:00 PM unless it falls on a holiday and then will be held on the second Monday.
- Jan — end of year review
- Feb — strategic planning session
- Apr — 1st quarter meeting
- Jul — 2nd quarter meeting
- Oct — 3rd quarter meeting
- 4th quarter – annual meeting of the board of directors
- Jan — Mean & Green 5-Mile Trail Race
- May — Mayfaire 5k
- Jun, Jul, Aug — Summer Sunrise 5k Series
- Oct — Aching Quad Challenge
- Nov — Lake to Lake 10K
Group Runs and Training Programs
- Weekly — Speed Workout
- Weekly — Hill Run
- Aug-May — Kids Run Club
- Jul-Oct — Middle School Development
- Mar-May — 5k Training Program
- Aug-Nov — 10k Training Program
General and annual member meetings or other special events reserved for members
Terms of Office: The term for all elected board positions is two years, as defined as follows: the term begins on the day of the annual meeting and lasts until the comparable day two years hence when the annual meeting of the membership is held. For purposes of term limits, such terms are considered to be precisely two years.
Consecutive years of service on the board cannot exceed six years. After the maximum allowable period of service has been fulfilled, there is a mandatory waiting period of at least one year before an individual is again eligible to serve on the board.
All officers shall be elected annually. A director may be elected to the same office or a different office. A director shall only serve in the same office for a maximum of two consecutive years.
Nominations: The nominating committee will review all nominations. A report from the nominating committee to the members will be prepared and posted with the notice of the annual meeting of the membership in accordance with the bylaws Article IV, Section 4.
Election: The slate of directors shall be voted on by eligible delegates at the annual meeting of the membership as per the LRC bylaws Article IV, Section 5.
Nomination Form and Statement: Nominations should be submitted using the online form.
It is recommended that the candidate complete this form.
The application will be emailed to the nominating committee chair.
Corporation governance documents are located on the LRC website for your review – https://lakelandrunnersclub.org/information/governance/