21st Annual Watermelon 5K Series
2016 Watermelon Series Race Dates
June 4, June 25, July 23 and August 20 at 7 a.m.
The Summer Sunrise Watermelon Race Series was born out of a desire to have low-cost local races during the hot summer months, when it can be hard to stay motivated. Now in its 21st year, the series has become an established venue for competition and an annual celebration of fitness. It continues to be popular with both experienced and casual runners alike. Many of the local high school cross country teams use it as a tune up for their season. The series is comprised of four 5K (3.1 mile) races. All four are run around Lake Hollingsworth, which is flat and conducive to fast times. Because of steady growth of this
popular series, we are keeping the entire first mile in the road to give runners time to spread out before moving to the path. This increases our costs, but we are excited to take this step.
The entry fee for the 4 race series is $40 if registered by May 27th. Entry fee for the series on the day of the first race is $45 and individual races are $15 each.
· Only those who register for the entire series by June 4th will receive a technical race shirt after the final race.
· Awards will not be given out after each race. Only those who register for the entire series by the first race day are eligible for the awards that will be presented following the August race. Series award winners will be determined by the sum of the four race times.
· Awards will be given to male and female overall winners, overall Masters (40 and over) winners, and overall Grandmasters (50 and over) winners, plus 3 deep in the following age groups: 10 and under, 11-14, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, and 80 and over.
· Race day registration starts at 5:45am and ends at 6:45am. You can also register online at www.active.com. All races will be chip timed. Overall winners will be determined by gun time, and age-group winners will be determined by chip time per RRCA and USATF guidelines.
· Race number pick up will be available the Friday night before each race at FITniche in the Lakeside Village from 4:00-8:00pm, as well as at the race on Saturday from 5:45 a.m. to 6:45 a.m.
· For more information or to volunteer, please contact Angi Griffin & Lynn King at firstname.lastname@example.org
Register online here:
Download registration form here:
2013 Series Final Results
2012 Race Results